Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feeding the reading habit

I'm a compulsive reader. If I run out of books, I'll read the toothpaste tube in a pinch. How to reconcile traveling light with lugging a library? One answer could be a Kindle, but I don't want to carry yet another electronic gizmo and charger.

Just found out that Amazon's Kindle software is available (for free) as a PC application. Downloaded it onto my netbook, and it seems to work very well. Special bonus: there are thousands of public domain books available at no charge, in addition to the current (eg, paid) titles. Who knows, I may finally read some classics I was supposed to have read back in high school.

Will still pack a paperback, but this Netbook / Kindle / Public Domain hybrid looks like a life saver. Big thank you to Katie, who turned me on to this solution!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Once you make it to Maastricht you have to cycle over to Belgium to get the best fries ever!

    Here is a link to my favorite place when I lived there:

    http://frietfindr.be/frituren/p/detail/lucienne-erik

    I think the best cycle route is over the “Bosscherweg”

    Try the Fries with “Tartar” sauce witch is a more accidic mayonaise with herbs. Order a side dish of “Zuurvlees”. Ask them not to dump it on top of the fries witch is the custom way of having a “frietje zuurvlees”…

    Enjoy!

    Rogier

    ReplyDelete