Sunday, May 10, 2015

Dordrecht / De Luthiers

Want to say what a pleasure my short visit to Dordrecht was.  My only regret is that I couldn't stay a bit longer.

Dordrecht is a fine small city, one of the oldest in the Netherlands and with a rich history.  First mention is from the 9th century, when -- I regret to say -- it seems that some of my possible ancestors from the north stopped by and looted and burned the town.  Shame on them! 

Great place today, and easy to get around by bike even on a busy weekend. 

I stayed at a B&B called "De Luthiers", run by a couple who make and repair beautiful instruments.  As nice people as you could ever hope to meet, and a wonderful cozy apartment.  They work mainly on acoustic instruments (guitars, violins, and older) so it isn't exactly appropriate but I'll steal a concept from Spinal Tap:  their B&B is an 11 on a scale of 10.


Had a wonderful talk with them, and a chance to have a look at their workshop, some works in progress, and some exceptional instruments.

Perhaps nicest of all, the gentleman who focuses on guitars lent me the first guitar he ever made for the evening.  Modeled on an older Martin, small body, 12 fret, pyramid bridge.  Just a wonderful guitar, not a false note in it.  After dinner I laid on the bed and noodled around with Satin Sheets, Prodigal Son, When a Man loves a Woman, a few others.  What a great way to end the day!


B&B de Luthiers.  Stay here if you are ever in Dordrecht, even if you can't play a note.

Note to self:  this would be a great base if a couple ever wanted to spend a few days exploring De Biesbosch by bike...



No comments:

Post a Comment