Friday, February 1, 2019

Stephens on "an attack of fever"

Believe it or not I'm on page 289 already!  My experience is that 15 pages is enough to put me to sleep any time, which means I've gotten at least 19 naps out of this book -- with plenty of pages remaining.

You can plant me here if I don't pull through
I came down with a case of something. Horrible chest congestion with mild fever.  So I went to see a doctor here.  Nice well educated guy, gave me a pretty thorough physical then prescribed a bunch of stuff.  His office was basic -- I thought I'd wandered into an abandoned bus station -- but his medical skills and attention seemed top flight.  Enough of me, I'll probably live.  But it is interesting to me that Yucatan has always had a bit of reputation.  Stephen's and his posse roamed all over, dealing with persistent illness and fever bugs. Here's another quote from page 259 of his book, which pretty much sums it up:

"... at the time of my attack Mr. Catherwood, Doctor Cabot and Albino were all down with fever.  I had a recurrence the next day, but on the third was able to get up and move about... My bones ached, a chill crept over me, I looked around for a soft stone to lie down upon... The fever came on, and I was obliged to dismount and lie down under a bush, but the chiggers drove me away."

He survived, so I'm not too worried.  Lucky to have a nice hammock instead of a "soft stone" or bush with chiggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment