Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Real or Surreal?

Surrealism -- noun -- a 20th-century avant-garde movement in art and literature which sought to release the creative potential of the unconscious mind, for example by the irrational juxtaposition of images.

Hieronymous Bosch is a hometown boy here.  He wasn't technically a surrealist, but I think that's only because he painted centuries before that 20th-century movement.  To me his work is as surreal as it comes, if a bit obsessed with the heaven / hell thing.

I worked in a corporate environment that prided itself on being guided by 'big data', so I'm personally highly aware that surrealism can creep into conclusions based on data science.

So was delighted to find this sculpture (a modern construction taken from a Bosch painting), next to this school.  Juxtaposition is as surreal as it gets.

Hieronymous Bosch based sculpture

"Hieronymous Academy of Data Science"




1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying this blog and watching you and Katie travel.

    I have lost a keyboardd to coffee having read this "I worked in a corporate environment that prided itself on being guided by 'big data', so I'm personally highly aware that surrealism can creep into conclusions based on data science."

    Truer words have rarely been spoken about 'Big data"

    This looks like such a marvelous time.

    ReplyDelete